Servo aims to provide an independent, modular, embeddable web rendering engine, allowing developers to deliver content and applications using web standards.
Created by Mozilla Research in 2012, the Servo project is a research and development effort. Stewardship of Servo moved from Mozilla Research to the Linux Foundation in 2020, where its mission remains unchanged. In 2023 the project moved to Linux Foundation Europe.
Servo is written in Rust, taking advantage of the memory safety properties and concurrency features of the language.
Since its creation in 2012, Servo has contributed to W3C and WHATWG web standards, reporting specification issues and submitting new cross-browser automated tests, and core team members have co-edited new standards that have been adopted by other browsers. As a result, the Servo project helps drive the entire web platform forward, while building on a platform of reusable, modular technologies that implement web standards.
Servo’s roadmap is defined in the project wiki: https://github.com/servo/servo/wiki/Roadmap
The chart below tracks our pass rates in several focus areas of the Web Platform Tests, as well as the whole CSS and WPT test suites. To drill down the pass rates under a focus area, see the Servo results on wpt.fyi, or for more details and legacy layout scores, see our full WPT dashboard at wpt.servo.org.
- Servo 2023 by Delan Azabani (Jun 2023)
- Servo in 2023 by Martin Robinson (May 2023)
- Streaming video from WebXR content using Servo by Alan Jeffrey (May 2021)
- Servo by Alan Jeffrey (Mar 2021)
- What I Talk About When I Talk About Running on the Web by Jack Moffitt (July 2017 at PolyConf)
- Servo Architecture: Safety and Performance by Jack Moffitt (Jan 2017 at linux.conf.au)
- Servo: Today & Tomorrow by Jack Moffitt (Sep 2016 at Web Engines Hackfest)
- Servo: Building a Parallel Browser by Jack Moffitt (Jan 2015 at linux.conf.au)
- Servo: Designing and Implementing a Parallel Browser by Jack Moffitt (Oct 2013 at Strange Loop)
Servo logo can be found at https://github.com/servo/project/tree/master/logo.